At least eight people killed in the attack claimed by al-Shabab group, as security forces continued to battle gunmen holed up inside.
At least eight people have been confirmed dead after gunmen stormed a hotel in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, officials have said, following two car bomb blasts and gunfire.
“The security forces continued to neutralise terrorists who have been cordoned inside a room in the hotel building, most of the people were rescued but at least eight civilians were confirmed dead so far,” security official Mohamed Abdikadir told the AFP news agency on Saturday.
The al-Shabab group claimed responsibility for the attack – the first since the election of Somalia’s new president, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, in May.
Gunmen stormed the Hotel Hayat frequented by government officials on Friday evening in a hail of gunfire and bomb blasts.
Sporadic gunfire and loud explosions could still be heard early on Saturday, as security forces continued to battle fighters holed up inside the popular hotel. It was unclear how many gunmen remained inside the hotel.
“The security forces rescued dozens of civilians including children who were trapped in the building safely,” Abdikadir said.
There was no immediate word on the identities of the victims, many of whom were injured.
A police officer, who only gave his name as Ahmed, earlier said that two car bombs had exploded – one at a barrier near the hotel and the other at the building’s gate. The assault triggered a fierce gunfight between security forces and the gunmen as they holed themselves up inside the building.
Dozens of people have been gathering outside the hotel to discover the fate of loved ones caught up inside.
“We have been looking for a relative of mine who was trapped inside the hotel, she was confirmed dead together with six other people, two of them I know,” witness Muudey Ali told AFP.
Al-Shabab has been fighting to topple the Somali government for more than 10 years. It wants to establish its own rule based on a strict interpretation of Islamic law.
Police officers were conducting an operation aimed at stopping the attack, the state-run Somali National News Agency said on its Twitter account, citing a police spokesperson. The agency posted a picture showing smoke billowing from above the scene.
Earlier this week, the United States announced that its forces had killed 13 al-Shabab fighters in an air raid in the central-southern part of the country as the group was attacking Somali forces.
The US has carried out several air raids on the group’s fighters in recent weeks.
Al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for similar attacks in the past. In August 2020, it said it was behind a raid on another hotel in Mogadishu, in which at least 16 people were killed.
Al-Shabab fighters were driven out of the capital in 2011 by an African Union force, but the armed group still controls vast swaths of countryside.